Kata is long-bodied and lithe with strong limbs and a groomed pelt. Her fur is tawny, while her muzzle, paws, and underbelly are all paler in color, and her ears are rimmed with brown. Her eyes are brown, a trait later seen in her children and eldest granddaughter.
Kata is opportunistic, cynical, and imposing, letting her emotions control her constantly, which usually leads to her launching into venomous rants.
However, her personality is somewhat gentler when interacting with her granddaughters, and she is jealous of the affection that they have for Simba's family.
- Her children alternate between Mom and Mother when referring to her.
- Her grandchildren refer to her as Grandma.
- She and Maya don't respect Simba and Nala.
- She doesn't get along well with Vitani.
- She and Maya are the only members of the pride that refer to Simba's family by their titles.
- She strongly dislikes Simba's grandchildren.
- She resents Bemba's affection for her grandchildren.