The hamerkop is mostly active during the day, often resting at noon during the heat of the day. They can be somewhat crepuscular, being active around dusk, but are not nocturnal as has sometimes been reported.
This species normally feed alone or in pairs, but will also feed in large flocks sometimes. It is a generalist, although amphibians and fish form the larger part of its diet. The diet also includes shrimp, insects and rodents.
The hamerkop is a medium-sized waterbird. Its plumage is a drab brown with purple iridescence on the back. The tail is faintly barred with darker brown. The sexes are alike and fledglings resembled adults. The bill is long, and slightly hooked at the end. It resembles the bill of a shoebill, and is quite compressed and thin, particularly at the lower half of the bottom mandible. The bill is brown in young birds but has become black by the time a bird fledges.
Appearances in Fanfiction
Here are all the fanfictions that this animal makes an appearance in that are on this wiki. If your fanfiction includes hamerkops, add it to this list.
- The Lion Guard: A Celebration to Remember
- The Lion Guard: Defending The Pridelands
- The Lion Guard: Another Kupatana Celebration
- The Lion Guard: Celebrating Kupatana
- The Lion Guard: An Important Celebration
- The Lion Guard: A Special Event
- The Lion Guard: A Wonderful Celebration
- The Lion Guard: A Joyous Occasion
- The Lion Guard: An Important Event
- The Lion Guard: An Amazing Day
- The Lion Guard: A Memorable Celebration
- The Lion Guard: A Wonderful Event
- The Lion Guard: A Perfect Celebration
- The Lion Guard: The Kumbuka Celebration
- The Lion Guard: Helping Kulinda
- The Story of The Lion Guard
The Lion King Fanon Wiki has a collection of images and media related to Hamerkop.